Portland Housing Authority Summer programming is designed to keep youth engaged in growth, learning, and exploration through the summer months. Volunteers are essential to these efforts, helping us engage more children by working with youth one on one or in small groups on a variety of projects, including arts and crafts, theater, gardening, and active play. Come volunteer with us, and ensure that every child can get the support they need to have fun and be successful!
- Help out with arts and crafts, outdoor activities, science projects and more
- Engage youth one on one or in small groups.
- Encourage students to clean up after themselves.
- Sign in and out each shift.
- 2 hours once a week, or more as desired
- Programming will occur under supervision of a coordinator during normal summer programming hours (to be determined)
- We ask that you commit to the same days and times each week in order to provide the most stability for our youth.
- We ask that you commit to a 6 week trial period
- Please give as much advanced notice as possible if you need to miss a shift
- Motivated and self-directed
- Ability to have fun while maintaining boundaries
- Cultural competency
- Strong communication
- Comfort engaging with children
Programming takes place in our 4 family housing neighborhoods, with orientation and possible trainings or meetings at our office at 14 Baxter Boulevard.
- Sagamore Village- This site is off of Brighton Ave. near Westbrook.
- Riverton Park- This site is off of Forest Ave. near Westbrook.
- Kennedy Park- This site is in East Bayside near Franklin Arterial.
- Front Street- This site is behind back bay off of Washington Avenue
- We provide an orientation with the potential for additional training
- An on-site coordinator will be available daily for in-person support and supervision
- Occasional check-ins and ongoing support as needed
ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST COMPLETE A VOLUNTEER APPLICATION AND BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO SERVING
Please contact Azia Gilbert, our Youth Programming VISTA with any questions.
firstname.lastname@example.org . 207-773-4753 (8012)