The Mission of the Southern Maine Agency on Aging is to improve the physical, social, emotional and economic well-being of elder adults in Southern Maine.
The mission of Vet to Vet is to
- Connect veterans with a fellow veteran, who will visit them in their homes.
- Fight isolation and provide a better quality of life for veterans.
- Provide veteran volunteers with a rewarding opportunity to help another veteran.
- Link veterans with needed services and benefits.
What specific tasks will the volunteer(s) perform?:
- Attend 9-hr. training.
- Pass background/driving record checks.
- Visit a veteran in his/her home at least twice a month.
- Provide needed companionship and share activities of mutual interest with vet (if able); for example, visit a military museum, go out for coffee, go to a car show, etc.
- Refer veteran to services and benefits if needed.
- Attend case review with other volunteers every other month.
Qualities, experience & skills needed by the volunteers: Compassion, good listening and communication skills (will receive training), patience; Vet to be visited may have symptoms of early dementia (volunteer will receive training)
Experience & skills: Must have served in the military (incl. reserves, Coast Guard, combat or noncombat)
Where will the volunteer(s) work? : York and Cumberland Counties in the veteran’s home and various sites visited by vet and volunteer
What length of commitment is expected of the volunteer(s)? : at least one year
Next training Fall of 2017.